Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Grace in the Hidden Face of God

READ Psalm 29-30

Honesty forces us to admit that sometimes, in times of peace and prosperity, we are tempted to be a bit puffed up and think that it is our own wisdom and strength that has brought these good times to us. This happened to David, “As for me, I said in my prosperity, “I shall never be moved.” By your favor, O Lord, you made my mountain stand strong; you hid your face; I was dismayed.” (30:6-7)

But God did David a favor and hid his face from him. Just as he did with Hezekiah when he was proud and acted foolishly, “And so in the matter of the envoys of the princes of Babylon, who had been sent to him to inquire about the sign that had been done in the land, God left him to himself, in order to test him and to know all that was in his heart.” (2 Chronicles 32:31)

Isn’t it amazing that God leaving us to ourselves for a time can be good for us if it causes us to remember that he alone is God and he alone is the provider of all things for us. The glory and the credit always go to him and not to us.

Prayer: Father, one of the blessings of aging is the realization more and more of just how weak I am and how undeserving I am of your grace, mercy and love. Help me never to forget that you are my Source. I praise you for your blessings to me and my family. Help me to pass on to them the truth of your greatness.

No comments: