Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Fill my cup, Lord!

READ Psalms 41-42

Jesus said, ““ Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.” (Matthew 5:6) David expresses this exact desire in the first two verses of Psalm 42, “As a deer pants for flowing streams, so pants my soul for you, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When shall I come and appear before God?” In some way the enemies of David have managed to cut him off from attending the worship in the temple and he longs for the presence of God.

May I ask if you are experiencing that same thirst? Do you truly thirst for God “as a deer pants” for the water? Imagine a deer running through the mountains. Perhaps he has been startled by a predator or a hunter and he is fleeing for his life. He runs and he runs and he runs. Finally, tongue hanging out and breaths coming in great gasping gulps, he searches for the one thing that will satisfy him…water.

Only God can satisfy the longing of our hearts. Only God can fill the need of our soul. We must, as Jesus said, continually hunger and thirst for him. Is your spiritual tongue hanging out from weariness or frustration? Are you gasping for something to satisfy your thirst? Perhaps you might be trying to “fill your cup” with the wrong things; with substitutes for the living water. It’s time to pour out the substitutes, the false gods (Jeremiah 2:13) and let God fill your cup with himself.

Prayer: Fill my cup, Lord. I lift it up, Lord. Come and quench this thirsting of my soul. Bread of heaven, feed me till I want no more. Fill my cup, fill it up and make me whole.

No comments: