Thursday, March 12, 2015

Does God Taste Good In Trouble?

READ Psalm 33-34

For the second time in two years, while away at the same conference, one of the dearest young couples in our church is experiencing a scary, traumatic situation with a newborn son. Two years ago their first child almost died at a month old from E-coli. Now their second son is in the emergency room with a, as yet undetermined malady, but in serious condition. The fleshly tendency is to say, “Really, God? Couldn’t you give them a break?”

But that was not David’s response. David, even in the midst of the threat of death from others, knew that his only hope was in God. “Our soul waits for the Lord; he is our help and our shield. For our heart is glad in him, because we trust in his holy name. Let your steadfast love, O Lord, be upon us, even as we hope in you.” (33:20-22)

I am encouraged by this young couples faith and trust in the Lord. I find myself wondering, as I try to encourage them, would I show the same faith they are showing? Would I be as steadfast in my trust in the Lord as David was? I think so. I hope so. By the grace of God I would. How about you?

Prayer: Father, you promise that you will never give us more than we can bear with your grace, strength and love sustaining us. You promise you will walk with us even when there is the looming shadow of possible death over us. You promise that you alone are our shield and fortress. Help us to taste and see that you are good and to make our refuge in you.

No comments: