Wednesday, March 11, 2015

BOOM! The Scripture Nailed Me!

READ Psalm 31-32  

BOOM! The Scripture nailed me…right between the eyes! Ouch! “Be not like a horse or a mule, without understanding, which must be curbed with bit and bridle, or it will not stay near you.” (32:9)

That’s me, way too often. Mule seems rather fitting for the times that I am so stubborn in my own will and way and so fixed on my own desires and so resistant to the directions of God’s Word or the nudges of the Holy Spirit. David says, don’t be like that. Don’t force the Lord to have to curb you with a bit or bridle just to keep you close to him. Be the one who trusts in the Lord in all that the word “trusts” entails. I do not trust in a chair simply because I believe it exists. No, rather my trust is demonstrated when I place the full weight of my body on that chair to hold me up and never let me fall. Trust is not just simple believing that God exists, but humbling myself before him and surrendering my life to him with the calm and full assurance that he knows best and he will ultimately bring me through the difficulties of life.

I’m sad that God must treat me like a mule at times. I’m glad that he is willing to bridle me when I need it.

Prayer: Father, your loving hand is shown to me in so many ways, certainly not the least of which is the your hand of restraint. Thank you for your steadfast love displayed in your firm discipline for me. Help me to bend my will to yours and be broken to your gentle hold on the reins of my life.

No comments: