Thursday, May 7, 2015

Waiting for the Lord Affects the Here and Now

READ Psalms 129-130

There is much joy and practical encouragement for the believer in “waiting for the Lord.” The Psalmist cried out, “I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and in his word I hope; my soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen for the morning, more than watchmen for the morning.” (130:5-6) His trust and hope were in the Lord and the Lord’s ultimate help and deliverance for him.

You and I, as NT believers, are exactly the same. Paul instructed Titus, “For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self- controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ,” (2:11-13). We are to live the Christian life “waiting for the Lord.”

Then Jude encouraged us, “But you, beloved, building yourselves up in your most holy faith and praying in the Holy Spirit, keep yourselves in the love of God, waiting for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ that leads to eternal life.” (20-21)

As we fix our hope on waiting for the coming of our Lord Jesus, we live lives that will be pleasing to him right now. So fix your eyes on Jesus and the hope of his coming (Hebrews 12:1-3). Wait for the Lord.

Prayer: Father, help me to anticipate and look forward to the time when Jesus comes again, whether for me in death or in the clouds before then. Help me, like Paul, to consider coming to be with you as far, far better. Help me to do this so that my life now will bring you great glory.

No comments: