Friday, May 8, 2015

Rest on God's Breast

READ Psalms 131-132

Psalm 131 is one of the most beautiful and peaceful of all the Psalms. One can quickly see an OT picture of a soul that has found its rest in the Lord Jesus Christ.

“O Lord, my heart is not lifted up;
my eyes are not raised too high;
I do not occupy myself with things
too great and too marvelous for me.” (1)

The singer of this Psalm is expressing his humility before the Lord. A lifted up heart is a proud heart. Pursuing things that are none of one’s business is a sign of pride. But this Psalmist is neither of those.

“But I have calmed and quieted my soul,
like a weaned child with its mother;
like a weaned child is my soul within me.” (2)

A weaned child is one who is simply content with its mothers presence. It is not demanding like a nursing child that eagerly seeks the mother’s breast for milk. The Psalmist is content with God as God and not for what he can get from him. He is content simply to be in God’s presence and know the joy of fellowship with him. He trusts the Lord to protect and provide when needed.

Prayer: Father, help us to be content with you and not to seek after the desires and passions and pleasures of the world. Help us to rest in your presence. Help us to trust you at all times with childlike trust and peace. For you are our resting place.

No comments: