Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Working for God

READ 2 Chronicles 31-32

There is much that can be said about Hezekiah. Let’s talk about one of the best things. The Chronicler tells us, “And every work that he undertook in the service of the house of God and in accordance with the law and the commandments, seeking his God, he did with all his heart, and prospered.” (31:21) Let’s draw a lesson for each of us today in relation to our service for the Lord in his church.

1. He undertook work in the service of the house of God. The house of God today is the church; the church where we have committed our lives to be a part of the fellowship of faith. We should each find our place of service in the church.

2. He did his work in accordance with God’s Word. We should also be guided by the Word as we serve the Lord through his church. Our work should honor the Lord and be an example to others of obedient faithful service.

3. We should seek the Lord in our service. Don’t serve God in order to be puffed up in your own mind. This eventually happened, sadly, to Hezekiah. But use your service of the Lord as an opportunity to know God more.

4. He worked with all his heart. Do your work heartily, as unto the Lord. In the power and grace of God, give it all you’ve got. Don’t be weary in well-doing. Hang in there faithfully, joyfully, continuously serving the Lord.

Be steadfast, y’all.

Prayer: Father, I pray for myself first that my work would be pleasing to you and my heart would be wholly toward you in my service for you. Hinder me, Lord, from pride and thoughts of indispensability. Let my service be acceptable to you. And for my brothers I pray that each of them will find their place of service for you and do it mightily, through your enabling power, for you.

No comments: