Monday, January 12, 2015

Hear & Do

READ Ezra 5-6

Ezra 5:1-2 point out the way things out to be with God’s people. They had been bullied into stopping the reconstruction of the temple by the local people. This lasted about 15 years. Then God sent his prophets Haggai and Zechariah who prophesied that they were wrong by not building and encouraged them to start the work again (cf. Hag 1:4-8). So the people respond under Zerubbabel and Jeshua and start the work on the house of God once again.

Yes, that’s the way it should be. When God’s people are not living according to his will and they hear a word from the Lord calling them to righteousness and obedience, they should hear the Word and then do it. (James 1:22) You and I individually and together as the Body of Christ should respond in obedience to the Word of God. We don’t have prophets today. Our word from God comes from his Word the Bible. So let’s be people of the Word and do what it tell us to do.

Prayer: Father, a simple request is all I have today. Help me to hear your Word and do it. If it points out my sin, help me to stop it. If it points out something that I am to do that I haven’t been doing, help me to do it. Through your power, help me to obey.

No comments: