Friday, February 20, 2015

Growth Through Suffering

READ Job 41-42

 At the end of God’s declaration of his might and power to him Job utters one of the most profound statements that any many has ever said, “I had hard of you by the hearing of the ear, but now my eye sees you; therefore I despise myself, and repent in dust and ashes.” (42:5-6).

It occurred to me how often this scenario is true. For the person of faith one of the surprising blessings in the midst of the crucible of suffering is how much we grow in our personal relationship with God. We seem to be able to learn so much more about God’s sovereignty and grace in very difficult times than in times that are pain free.

I’m so thankful this is true. And I’m so thankful that God is the one who gets to pick when those times come and not me. If the option were left to me I would opt for no suffering. But God, in his grace, loves me enough as he did the apostle Paul to let me have those thorns in my flesh to show me his grace is sufficient for even my deepest pain. The Lord gives and the Lord takes away, blessed be the name of the Lord.

Prayer: Father, your grace is sufficient for every sorrow and trouble. Your power is perfected in my weakness. Help me to firmly know ahead of time that suffering will show me more of you. Help me to humbly seek you when the difficult times come.

No comments: