Thursday, December 11, 2014

What Small Thing Has God Done for You?

READ 1 Chronicles 16-17

What small thing has God done for you in your life? David rehearsed before the Lord a glorious song of praise, extolling “his deeds among the peoples” (16:8ff). He exalts the Lord for his wondrous works, his miracles and judgments, his covenant with Abraham, giving Israel the land of Canaan, choosing Israel to be his people, making the heavens, establishing the world, his goodness and his steadfast love that endures forever! What a glorious song of praise this was.

Then David wants to build the Lord a house but God will not allow him to do it. Rather, he promises to raise up one of his sons after him who will build the house for the Lord.  David, again in deep gratitude goes in and sits before the Lord (17:16f) to thank him for choosing him to be his servant and his family to rule over Israel, “Who am I, O Lord God, and what is my house, that you have brought me thus far? And this was a small thing in your eyes, O God.”

A small thing!? Was he serious? God had chosen him to be king of his people and David calls it a small thing. But note carefully, he wasn’t saying it was a small thing to him but a small thing “in God’s eyes.” What he meant was that for God this was no great undertaking. He did this with ease. To put it in anthropomorphic terms it didn’t wear God out. For David it was monumental. For God it was the continuation of his eternal plans and purpose.

I thought to myself. What “small” thing has God done for me. And the first and most obvious answer was my salvation. God, being rich in his mercy, made me alive together with Jesus Christ. It was difficult for him. For me it was, and continues to be, cataclysmic. Wow!

Prayer: Father, as David said, “What more can I say to you for honoring your servant?” Yet, Lord, I pray that you would fill me with continual wonder and praise to you for your gift of salvation — perhaps a small thing in your eyes, but for me an everlasting transforming blessing. Thank you seems so weak. But my heart is full of wonder.

No comments: