Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Am I Elijah?

READ 1 Kings 17-18

Thanks to a man named Dale Ralph Davis I have a question in my mind about today’s passage (and about all biblical interpretation for that matter). As we read of the drought/famine that God brings upon the land and how God cares for his prophet we are encouraged by the ravens and the widows care that God cared for his prophet and he cares for us. But, here’s the question: Why should I so quickly identify myself with the prophet and not with the widow or even all the others who were suffering so under the difficult times? Many were losing their lives obviously.

Yes, it is true according to Matthew 6:25-34 and Luke 12:22-31 that God does promise to help his people and provide the basic needs of life. But in this story in 1 Kings, couldn’t my reference point just as easily be one of the prophets that was killed by Jezebel as it is Elijah?

So what’s the point? I guess the point that I am personally taking away today is that God doesn’t always promise that continued life and well-being will always be the case for us. Sometimes, in his sovereign will, the Lord allows/brings very hard times. And we know that, ultimately, God brings death for all of us (at least until Jesus comes). The question for me is will I still worship and honor him with my life even if everything doesn’t go as I might want it to go. Prayerfully, hopefully, the answer will be yes.


Prayer: Father, your ways are not our ways and your thoughts are not our thoughts. Help me, Lord, to count it all joy when I encounter various trials in my life. Help me to pray as Jesus did, even though I might want this “cup” to pass from me, “Nevertheless, not as I will but as you will.” Thank you for your steadfast love, O Lord.

No comments: