Friday, April 24, 2015

Praise in the Midst of Problems

READ Psalms 107-108

I recently read and posted a very thoughtful article by Keith Getty on why Christians should sing loudly in church. Let me summarize the points: we are commanded to sing; singing together completes our joy; singing is an expression of brotherhood and unites generations; we are what we sing; singing bears testimony to our faith. This last point is what I think David is doing in Psalm 108, using his voice to proclaim his faith, even when he thinks that God has somehow abandoned his people (10-11). Praise in the midst of problems!

The early words of this Psalm are one of our favorite choruses. After He declares, “I will sing and make melody with all my being!” he goes on to the substance of his song: “I will give thanks to you, O Lord, among the peoples; I will sing praises to you among the nations. For your steadfast love is great above the heavens; your faithfulness reaches to the clouds.” (3-4).

How about you and me? Do we praise God in the midst of our problems? Do we sing “with all [our] being?” If not, could that be a reflection of where our hearts truly are…far from God? Brothers, when we gather in worship let’s let it rip to the praise of our glorious and faithful God.

Prayer: Father, my prayer is simple. Help me! Help me to praise you with all my being.

No comments: