Monday, January 4, 2016

The List

READ Luke 3-4

Do you find yourself tempted to jump over the genealogies in the Bible? I admit it. I do. Oh, sure there are some nuggets of gold to be found in these genealogies but normally they read like public records at the court house.

But I found myself slowly reading the genealogy in 3:23ff this morning. One significant fact stood out to me as I read. Most of these names I had never heard of before, at least apart from this biblical record. I have no idea who they were or what they did with their lives. But then the thought struck me: what was the one most significant fact about each of these people? I think the answer is in the genealogy itself. They made the list! The primary purpose of their life was to be in a long line that got the Savior into the world as God had promised.

Think of another significant list. The disciples had been sent out by Jesus and returned with glowing reports and excitement about the fact that even the demons obeyed them. Jesus reminded them of the most important thing: “Nevertheless, do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven.” (10:20) The most important thing is do you make the list?

Years from now when we are dead and gone no one will remember someone named Walter Price who lived most of his life in Beaumont, CA, and made very little impact on the world. Whatever he may have done of significant consequence is known only to God. But the one question that will matter at that time is very simple, “Is his name on the list?” (cf Philippians 4:3; Revelation 20:15) How about you? Is your name included?

Prayer: Father, there is only one way that my name could have been added to your book of life — by your grace alone for me. Not by any works or worthiness on my part, simply by your grace alone. Thank you for your grace. Thank you for my Savior who purchased by redemption. Thank you for giving me your life.

No comments: