Tuesday, June 30, 2015

The Primary Task of a Pastor

READ Isaiah 21-22

What caught my attention today is very personal and applicable for me, but also I think for all Christians in a way. Isaiah states again what is his first and foremost calling, to announce to the people what God has said to him: “… what I have heard from the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel, I announce to you.” (21:10) That is a great reminder for us pastors/preachers. Our primary role is to share with the people what God has said to us — in his Word. That is our first duty. As Paul said to the young pastor, “Preach the Word” (2 Timothy 4:2). We can never be reminded of that too much.

But it is also a Word for Christians as they pray for their pastor and as they come to the gatherings of the church. They should expect their pastor to feed them the Word of God and they should protect his time in preparing to do so. Nothing encourages a pastor more than standing before his congregation and sensing from them an expectant spirit of hearing from the Lord through him today. I am so blessed to have served in a place like that for over 31 years.


Prayer: Father, keep us all faithful to your Word. Help me and other pastors to faithfully proclaim what you have said. Help all of our flocks to hunger for this food. And, Lord, help us all to live it out in lives guided by your truth.

No comments: