Monday, March 9, 2009

A Heart Check

My dear friend Byron Paulus, Executive Director of Life Action Ministries, shared some questions that have challenged his heart concerning the current climate of our nation and his personal response. I am borrowing some of his thoughts (with a few alterations), along with some of mine to offer a Heart Check for Christians across the political spectrum.

1. Do my thoughts, prayers, words and actions display as much concern about our nation’s spiritual condition as the economic ones?

2. Am I as concerned with what the Scripture says about our situation as what the media offer?

3. Do my words and actions display anxiety or peace about God’s promised care for me through difficult times?

3. Do I spend as much time in God’s Word as I do on Twitter, Facebook, et al?

4. Do I spend as much time talking to God about President Obama as I do to others, whether positively or negatively?

Here are others from Byron’s list:

• Am I as disturbed over the lack of God's presence as I am the lack of godly people in places of influence?
• Am I spending as much time trying to understand the ways of God through the Good News, as I am the ways of man through the media?
• Am I as motivated to figure out how to meet the needs of others as I am in trying to figure out how to meet my own needs?
• Am I content to live the rest of my life materially poor in order to make others spiritually rich?
• Do I spend as much time sharing what I learned from the Scriptures each day as I do sharing what I learned about current events that day?

May God grant us the grace to be true salt and light in the midst of deep darkness.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Thanks for posting this.