Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Understanding a Woman...Help!!!

READ Ecclesiastes 7-8
June 10, 2015

The Preacher makes an amazing statement in 7:27-28: “Behold, this is what I found, says the Preacher, while adding one thing to another to find the scheme of things—which my soul has sought repeatedly, but I have not found. One man among a thousand I found, but a woman among all these I have not found.” As the ESV Study Bible suggests, we will understand this verse better if we substitute the words “figured out” for “found.” So then it reads, “One man among a thousand I figured out, but a woman among all these I have not figured out.” Oh, hallelujah, amen, preach it brother!

The writer of Ecclesiastes joins the multitude of his brother males in not being able to figure out women. I don’t often quote Sigmund Freud (for obvious reasons) but I can relate to this statement by him: “After all my years of study, the one thing I have not been able to figure out is…what does a woman want?” He may have read Ecclesiastes but maybe not.

Now, guys, couple that with Peter’s admonishing to us: “Husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way….” (1 Peter 3:7) How on earth can I understand my wife if the writer of Ecclesiastes couldn’t figure out his? Well, the answer is through the grace of God. As we seek to love our wives in all things and be willing to put them and their welfare above our own, God will give us insight into “what makes them tick and what gets them ticked” (Steve Canfield).

Remember, God’s commands are his enablements (Amy Carmichael). If God has told us to understand our wives he will give us the grace to do it as we commit ourselves to the task. We can do all things through the one who strengthens us…even figure out one woman.

Prayer: Father, thank you for giving me the perfect mate for me. Thank you for her special standing in your eyes. Help me to put her first and love her as Christ loved the church. Help me to be willing to meet her needs in all of life so that our love and marriage can make your gospel look good.

No comments: